Holiday Safety Tips
With the holidays fast approaching, please remember these simple steps you can take to ensure the safety of your family and loved ones.
- Keep trees and electrical cords away from high traffic areas of your home. Never run electrical cords through doorways or under rugs or carpets. Avoid overloading electrical cords or outlets.
- Do not leave burning candles and holiday lights unattended. Keep candles away from children, pets, tree decorations, and wrapping paper. Turn off all candles and holiday lights before going to bed or leaving home.
- Keep tree decorations away from pets and young children. Place small and fragile decorations out of reach at the top of the tree. Don’t let children and pets play with electrical lights.
- Keep smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in good working order. Always have a working fire extinguisher on hand and know how to use it.
- Ensure that your brakes, windshield wipers, engine, and tires are winter-ready. Exercise caution while driving in winter conditions and adjust your speed accordingly. Leave ample time to reach your destination.
- Be safe and concentrate while driving. Buckle up. Don’t talk or text while driving. Plan for frequent stops to stretch and refocus. Monitor traffic conditions (e.g. CP24 Traffic Alert for smartphones). Maintain a proper following distance away from other vehicles on the road.
- If you are travelling for the holidays, secure your home. Set up timers to turn lights on and off while you are away. Have a friend or neighbour keep an eye on your home and collect your mail or newspapers.
- Don’t drink and drive. Ensure you get home safely by appointing a designated driver, taking a taxi, or using public transportation. If you see an impaired driver on the road, call 911, *OPP, or your local police station.
Have a very safe and happy holiday season!
The content of this article or blog posting is of a general nature and does not constitute legal advice. It is not intended to be a full or complete analysis of the topic. Before applying the concepts or any content of this article or blog it is imperative that you consult your legal advisor.
Neither the author of this article or Singer Kwinter can accept any responsibility for financial loss nor gain of any nature should the reader not take advice from their legal advisor.