BRAIN INJURY LAWYERS
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can occur during the course of any number of different situations. You may be riding your bike to school, driving your car to work, playing a sport, riding a recreational vehicle, attending a concert, or walking your dog when the injury occurs. Regardless of whether the brain injury is sustained as a result of an automobile accident, slip and fall, medical negligence, etc. – you may be entitled to compensation for your injury.
TBI’s can range from mild to severe in each victim. Dependent upon your individual medical scenario, the impact on your life may vary. In some situations, the traumatic brain injury may result in the need for life-long medical attention and financial support. This may lead to an inability to work, care for your family, attend to your home or enjoy life the way you are used to.
The Ontario Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) defines a brain injury caused by an accident as a catastrophic impairment when it results in one of the following:
- A score of 9 or less on the Glasgow Coma Scale, as it appears in the work of B. Jennett and G. Teasdale entitled Management of Head Injuries , Contemporary Neurology Series, Volume 20, FA Davis Company, Philadelphia, 1981, according to a test administered within a reasonable time after the accident by a person trained for that purpose.
- A score of 2 ( vegetative ) or 3 ( severe disability ) in the classification called Glasgow Outcome Scale , as contained in section B. Jennett and M. Bond entitled Assessment of Outcome After Severe Brain Damage , Lancet i: 480, 1975, according to a test administered more than six months after the accident by a person trained for that purpose test.
It is vital that you work with an experienced team of brain injury lawyers Toronto when navigating the system. Singer Kwinter works for the victim, achieving the compensation that is rightfully deserved after a life altering injury. A victim of a traumatic brain injurywill require a comprehensive team of legal and healthcare professionals to make certain the necessary financial security and clinical support are in place over a person’s lifetime. Home modifications, home-based care, medical treatments, therapy, emotional support systems and various other living costs are factors that must be taken into consideration after a brain injury.
If you or someone you know has suffered a traumatic brain injury, it is important that you work with a lawyer who is experienced in handling these types of injuries. With close to 40 years practicing in personal injury law, we have the expertise to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact Singer Kwinter and schedule your FREE INITIAL PHONE CONSULTATION. You pay no fees until your case is won or settled.
Singer Kwinter is proud to support the following brain injury organizations and hospitals:
- Brain Injury Association of Peel and Halton
- Brain Injury Society of Toronto (BIST)
- Ontario Brain Injury Association (OBIA)
- St. Michael’s Hospital Head Injury Clinic
- The Hospital for Sick Children
- Toronto Rehab
Disclaimer: Content on this page is strictly for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.